Illustrators wanted to collaborate on an animated movie project for children's charity, The Hackney Pirates
The Hackney Pirates is an enterprising charity working to develop the literacy, confidence and perseverance of young people in Hackney, so that they achieve both in school and in the world beyond.
Below are some examples of last years illustration, animation and film so you can see what we are aiming to achieve this year. Read more about the new project for 2019 below!
The Hackney Pirates are embarking on their film project of the school year and need your help!
Our Young Pirates will be screenwriting for a motion picture about a superhero’s origins. Think Peter Parker transitioning from a journalist to a Spiderman by being bitten by a spider. The film will feature the writing of 200 young people following a shared story line and it will be premiered at the Rio Cinema in Dalston before later being released online.
What we need:
Illustration Deadline - 25.01.2019 Deadline
* Two super hero illustrations one male and one female. Both before they are heroes and after.
* Drawings should be of the character only without a background
* Drawings can be black and white.
* Our Young Pirates come from a variety of backgrounds. We want a range of Young Pirates to be able to identify with each character. This may mean that the characters are masked or otherwise ambiguous in their ethnicity.
* Create a storyboard for the movie which the children will use to write descriptions and dialogue from.
* The story board will use the characters created in the illustration process and will later be used by the animators to bring the film to life.
* There will be 5 chapters to story board each will feature 12 slides.
* Chapter 1: Hero when they were just an average person (could start with flashback as narrated by hero themselves)
* Chapter 2: A catastrophic event which lead to appropriation of super powers
* Chapter 3: Discovering their powers
* Chapter 4: Identifying a problem they can use their powers to combat.
* Chapter 5: Using their powers for good/completing a mission.
Animation 25.2.19 Deadline
* We need animators to bring elements of the storyboard to life.
* You will create animation sequences which we will use within the movie to bring to life what the Young Pirates have written.
* This film will be approximately 22 mins. Approximately 5 mins of which will be animation. The other 17mins will be film footage of the children telling their story.
Design brief: We would like the overall aesthetic of the piece to have a comic book/anime feel. The level of animation can be simple, with the use of after effects to add motions to illustrations.
We work with children aged 10-12 who are very much into the modern Superhero films. These are pretty dramatic and moody and we would like to create a film of a similar nature. Kamala Khan and Black Panther are huge favorites with our young pirates so we would loosely base the central characters on them. We would also like the setting to be a generic East London setting, e.g. Docklands, A Marketplace, London style buses or Taxis and cultural reference points such as landmarks, people and cultures.