Volunteer in The Ship of Adventures
The Ship of Adventures is run by a fantastic team of volunteers, who help us enormously by ensuring that things are always ship-shape on deck! We're always looking for more enthusiastic individuals to come and join our team. It's a great way to give something back to your local community, have fun and perhaps learn some new skills too!
The Ship of Adventures is looking for an volunteer to help run our awesome events space in Dalston! Since starting four years ago, The Ship of Adventures has proven itself as a social business with strong potential, and a much-loved addition to the local high street. Our plan for the next year is to boost awareness and customers so that the Ship is not only financially sustainable but thriving. The better the Ship does, the more funding that’s available to support the Hackney Pirates charity.
We’re looking for someone to volunteer with us for anywhere between - 6 month, giving roughly half a day per week. If you have more time to give, we’d welcome that. Similarly, if you find yourself loving the role and want to continue for a longer period of time, we’re open to that.
If you’re currently working, we’re confident this can fit alongside your day job. You can work from our premises or remotely in a location most convenient to you.
For more information click here.
We're always looking for more dedicated volunteers to help us run our day-to-day trading activities here at the Ship. For the shop/café role, ideally you will have the following experience and skills:
- Ability to work well with a team
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic numeracy skills
- Flexibility and reliability
- Retail or customer service experience
- Barista skills
- Experience with handling cash and processing credit card transactions
- Previous connection to the Hackney Pirates
- Previous experience of working in a not-for-profit or voluntary environment
What the volunteer role involves
We appreciate any time that you can donate to the Hackney Pirates. In order to concentrate our resources we would ideally like a commitment of a minimum of 3 hours a week, for at least 3 months. Shifts take place between 8.30am and 7pm Monday to Friday and between 11:30 am and 7pm on Saturdays. Some typical tasks include:
- Providing excellent customer service to all of our customers
- Talking to customers about the work of the Hackney Pirates, providing information about volunteering and donating
- Signing up potential new recruits
- Processing sales transactions by cash and credit card
- Ensuring that the shop is presentable, clean and well merchandised at all times
- Being aware of the general security of the shop
- Helping to label and merchandise new stock
Current available shifts
Volunteer shifts are always changing but currently we are particularly looking for volunteers on:
- Monday (8:30am - 11:30am,12 - 3pm or 4pm-7pm)
- Tuesday (8:30am - 11:30am or 12 - 3pm)
- Wednesday (10.30am - 1.30pm or 4pm - 7pm)
- Friday (8:30am - 11:30am or 12 - 3pm)
- Saturday (12 - 3pm or 3pm - 6pm)
If you are only available at other times then please do still feel free to get in touch.
Application and next steps
If you would like to apply to volunteer at The Ship of Adventures then please fill in our application form. Once we have received your application we will be in touch to discuss next steps with you. This will include:
- An informal interview in the shop/cafe
- An Induction
- Practical training
Any questions at all, then please email our Trading Manager Amy: Ship@hackneypirates.org